Thursday, August 19, 2010

Another Dimension

Today is my first day back as a student and
instructor (at a large southwestern university). As ever, students do not fail to entertain. Today's story comes from my colleague, Gino, who opened his class with an ice breaker called Two Truths and a Lie. Each student stands up and shares two personal facts and one lie that masquerades as a fact. I do this activity with students as well, and it is invariably fascinating to see what they choose to share about themselves. I had a girl one year share the "fact" that she had great legs. (She really did.)

Gino said that as he started the class, he mentioned the applicability of his subject to the "real world." This young lady cut in and said, "Do you really think there's such a thing as 'real'?" Gino replied that he couldn't be sure, that perhaps we all have different perceptions of reality or reality varies with the individual. Nonetheless, he meant something else. As this girl stood up to share her truths and lie, she said, "I have two dogs. I have never left this dimension, and I really like orange juice." Gino crossed his fingers and hoped that she loathed orange juice. However, this student evidently has experienced interdimensional travel and proceeded to explain to the class about how all people may experience up to (but no more than) 18 dimensions. Most of us have already been to at least two of them--we just didn't know it.

Welcome back to the school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment