Thursday, February 10, 2011

Signposts

My students are most funny with their written communication. Exams, papers, and quizzes often happen in clusters, which is why my blogs also occur in similar clusters. Hence, I offer you two in two days. I gave a very basic quiz today to my Public Speaking students, in which one of the questions was, "What is a signpost?" Now, a signpost is simply a verbal marker of a shift in topic (next, second, third, in conclusion). I encourage my basic students to use these until they master the art of spoken transitions (which they rarely do). I received several accurate answers to the question, but I here copy several of my favorites.

What is a signpost?

-"something you start and finish with"
-"a piece of something"
-"a gesture signifying an important point"
-"What is a signpost? Something that tells you what to do? Preferably on a sign?"
-"A signpost is a person/item you focus on during a speech to ease anxiety" (that's an anchor, and I got 2 of those responses)

And finally, the absolute best from my football player: "It's a position you hold to do autographs."

No comments:

Post a Comment