Friday, April 29, 2011

What if...?

I was lecturing on breakups and relational catastrophes on Tuesday, and as a class we were working through some problems with a particular theory. More or less, we were identifying the types of catastrophes that would be likely to end a relationship. A few options were thrown out, including someone coming out as gay in a heterosexual relationship, infidelity, discovery of an addiction, and so on. We suggested that early in a relationship such things as religious and political differences or strong opinions about wanting children might cause people to part ways. At this point, a student asked with an impish grin, "What if you found out that Carlos had a secret crush on Sarah Palin? What would you do?" They know me well. I told them that I would divorce him immediately for irreconcilable differences. But secretly, I'd understand. Sarah is a hottie.

1 comment: