I've been going to see a physical therapist lately, as my back is apparently nastily out of line and weak where it needs to be strong. This makes sense, since I spend most of the day on the couch working on this laptop of mine or schlepping around San Diego State with said laptop and numerous books slung over one shoulder or the other. Tuesdays and Thursdays I drive to Coronado to stretch, be stretched, and have my joints manipulated.
I have come to see physical therapy as a metaphor for spiritual (and I suppose all of) life. We cannot have a healthy spiritual, emotional, or mental spine without those who stretch us. We have inherent flaws and environmental factors that must be addressed. Without the guidance of some, and our own practice, we cannot stand upright.
I do my best to go to PT cheerfully. I rather like the part where they massage my neck and back and help to get rid of these headaches, but when the poking and prodding starts, I become slightly less smiley. I admire people who can receive good pain with grace. Great example: Carlos. He just finished his fire academy, and I've never seen more abuse doled out to a group of men. For the most part, though, the cracking of the whip was for the good of these firefighters. I scarcely heard a complaint from Carlos as he woke up early (3:30am) and came home late (6:30pm), spent hours daily on physical training, hours more in the classroom, and hours more studying at night. Instead, he chose to view the experience as a stretching and educational challenge both for his present occupation and for his future life. I hope I learn to have a more eternal perspective like that.
Why did God make firefighters? Because cops need heroes too. Congratulations, Mighty Mouse!
No comments:
Post a Comment