Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Portable Sewing Machine

My students are currently giving "persuasive" speeches. I put the word "persuasive" in quotes because the speeches may or may not effectively sway opinions. I have heard some excellent ones on recycling and vegetarianism. Yesterday, however, I had two groups bomb in succession. The second was especially abysmal. The clip below comes from The Onion's video news. As most of us know, The Onion is a bogus news source, much like Stephen Colbert or Fox News. It appears from the content of their speech on purchasing domestic products instead of sweatshop produced items, that all five of the boys in this group were ignorant of this fact. They used this clip in all seriousness, fully believing that a portable sewing machine was changing daily life in Bangladesh.

4 comments:

  1. All I can say is... WOW...

    ReplyDelete
  2. how is that possible... that they didnt get it?

    also, i laughed at your fox news statement =)

    -HORSE

    ReplyDelete
  3. changing life...one tiny stitch at a time! Incredible.

    ReplyDelete