Monday, September 21, 2009

For a new semester

I have been in a bit of a joyous haze since learning that my dad was healed. My students do nothing but add to that delirium by being utterly hilarious.

Comments/actions include:

"Um, I'm 22 and I am a Marine. I have a big problem with cussing when talking in front of people. Will I get marked down for that?" --looking forward to THAT speech

Ryan, a burly flat water kayaking champion, wore a tux to his first speech. He wore a bow tie around his neck, not over the shirt collar, but just around his neck.

"How old are you? 25? Whoa... I'm 24. We could, like, party!"

One student opened her speech, and two sentences in burst into tears and sobbed through her incredibly intense life story (a 4 minute speech assignment became 7 minutes). One student in the audience stood up, walked to the front, and handed her a small packet of tissue. She kept going.

"Could I do a speech about how to be a gangster or a player? I could make it funny."


It's good to be back.

2 comments:

  1. Your students make me laugh out loud. I'd like to see pictures. Wait, nope, maybe my imagination is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually it was a Starbucks napkin, not a packet of tissues. "Get it right, UBER nerd" (I'm right, 2009).

    ReplyDelete