
Today was my last day of teaching at San Diego State. I still have to administer final exams to my kidlings, but today was the day of review and a short speech of appreciation for my students. Before my second section started today, I was chatting with a few of the students about summer plans and the like. One asked me this question in his gutteral football voice:
G: "Teacher, can we still bring in books for the book drive?"
Me (giggling): "Did you just call me Teacher? Like I'm a kindergarten teacher?"
G (minorly embarrassed): "Yeah. What are we supposed to call you? Lauren?"
Me: "Yes. I said that on the first day of class, and your classmates have called me that all semester."
G: "Why can't I call you Professor or Dr. Amaro?"
Me: "Because I am neither of those things yet."
Another student piped up.
J: "You're asking her this on the last day of class?"
G: "Yeah. I mean, I thought I should find out."
Glad you did, Student. Glad you did. It's well worth adding that this student is the same student to sketch the epic little image on his quiz, pictured a few posts down.
I must say that I am happy to conclude this chapter at SDSU. I have learned a lot about the nature of teaching and myself as a teacher. I think the students that I taught here will always have a bit of a special spot for me, both for the lessons I learned and for their utterly laughable behavior. I am sure, however, that I will find another bunch of brilliant scholars awaiting me at my next school in the fall. There's that certain je ne sais quoi about state schools that provides such delightful fodder for a blog. Looking forward to the next chapter (and the intercalary chapter in which I do nothing but read on the beach in Santa Barbara)!
No comments:
Post a Comment