Saturday, October 9, 2010

Storage Love

I am sad to say that my students have been less entertaining this semester than ever before. I think this is because I am teaching fewer 18 year olds. While the quality of their work and commentary increases, the quantity of my potential blog posts decreases. However, I can always dig up some written gems from the intellectual caverns that I grade.

My students studying relational communication have the assignment to write an advice article. They can choose to write on issues of self-disclosure, attraction, or love and attachment. I am now grading the papers on love or attachment, and the favored theory for their discussion is Lee's "Love Styles." My students really tend to enjoy this theory, as they can now categorize all of their friends-with-benefits into one category or another. The theory puts forth 6 different types of love, and I have a student who has added an additional few.

Lee's Love Styles

Eros - erotic love, characterized by physical/sexual desire and intense romance
Storge - love rooted in friendship and companionship
Ludus - game-playing love
Pragma - practical, need-based love
Mania - obsessive, manic love
Agape - compassionate, sacrificial love

The following three new love styles emerged in my student's paper:

"Euros love is based on physical attraction, storage love is love based on friendships, and louds love is based on games."

Three typos in one sentence. New record.

No comments:

Post a Comment