Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"To my friend, Morgan Freeman's voice"



Today is the last day of classes. (Sigh of relief!) I am pleased to report that my Public Speaking students finished off the semester in flames of glory. They gave special occasion speeches today, and they were HOT. I have never enjoyed watching a day of speeches so much. Normally I hear a lot of wedding toasts and generic commencement speeches during this unit, but apparently it is a good idea to follow up two lessons on communication and creativity with these fun speeches. Topics included:

-A lifetime achievement award presented to Morgan Freeman's voice.
-An acceptance speech of the prestigious rank of Order of Merlin, 1st class, especially thanking Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore (complete with a witch's costume, a wand, and a cape that was flourished to emphasize points)
-An acceptance speech for Supervillain of the Year (complete with makeup for Batman's nemesis, Two Face)
-An introduction of Miss Navajo Nation 2014
-A eulogy for Pat Tillman
-A toast in the form of a letter to a father who died 1 year ago today

I cried through the last speech. Since my dad was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago I have had a deep seated fear of losing one or both of my parents at any early age. This young lady is 19 years old and was brave enough to share a number of sweet memories of her father. This was a wonderful way to close a semester of fairly dry speeches. My belief in the creative capacity of Generation "Me" is temporarily restored!

1 comment: